- Find Bar: just start typing to search a page, and there is no box in the way (be sure to try "Highlight").
- Smart Keywords: turn the address bar into a veritable command-line.For example, you can set up bookmards with keywords to:
- Live Bookmarks display RSS feeds as folders, each link a bookmark.
- SmartFind bookmarks, which have no friendly user interface yet, but the examples can be copied and modified to suit your needs. Think of them as saved bookmark searches. Even LiveBookmark items are included, making this a nifty aggregation tool!
A pedant that hangs out in the dark corner-cases of the web.
Thursday, December 23, 2004
This version appears to be significantly faster to load, even without the "fastloader" it puts in your Startup folder.
Monday, December 20, 2004
Tuesday, December 14, 2004
Deserving Nonprofit, Open Source Software Projects
- The Mozilla Project
- Makers of the excellent Firefox web browser, Thunderbird email client, and more.
- A massive infrastructure for programmers, providing resources for thousands of projects, including the individually deserving cURL, 7-zip, FileZilla, Programmer's Notepad, PopTray, GhostScript, jEdit, and PDFCreator.
- The Apache Software Foundation
- The source of many important software projects, such as ant, fop, SpamAssasin, and the Apache web server.
- Another collaborative environment for programmers. Home of Subversion and TortoiseSVN.
- The free image viewer. It can read and convert nearly any graphic file.
- A language for automating typing and clicking. After all, the whole point of computers is to release humans from mindless tedium.
- SpyBot Search & Destroy
- The front lines on the war against spyware. SpyBot cleans up infections.
- Prevents spyware from being installed in the first place.
- The GNU Image Manipulation Program; a powerful graphics editor.
- The GNOME Foundation
- Home of the GNOME Free Software Desktop, including the Epiphany web browser (based on Mozilla), Evolution, and Dia.
Laudable Charities & Nonprofits
- The Wikimedia Foundation
- Support Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
- Electronic Frontier Foundation & DigitalConsumer.org
- Movie companies and TV networks are making it illegal to skip commercials, fast forward past previews, and even record certain radio and TV shows. Recording industry companies want to control what kind of devices we can use to listen to music. Copyright law has been badly distorted in favor of exploitative companies that have wrested legal ownership away from artists. Help preserve what little rights we have left.
- Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial Email
- Can't we have one tiny corner of our lives that is not completely saturated by insipid, vacuous advertising and scams?
- Electronic Privacy Information Center & Americans for Computer Privacy
- Remember when 1984 sounded scary, but unlikely? Remember when Big Brother was a universally rejected concept?
- BlackBoxVoting.org, The Center for Democracy and Technology & MoveOn.org
- Accurate voting and an informed electorate are critical to our democracy.
- American Civil Liberties Union
- Help protect freedom!
Traditional Wish Lists
Wednesday, December 08, 2004
To drastically speed up disk cleanup in Windows, delete the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Explorer\ VolumeCaches\ Compress old files\ key.
To configure and save a cleanup job, type cleanmgr /sageset:n (n is the job number); to execute a cleanup job, type cleanmgr /sagerun:n .
To delete the key, you can create use a .reg file containing the following:
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Compress old files]