- Upgrade to your office's volume-licensed copy of Office 2007.
- Never get prompted to change to a product key that will work.
- Get prompted to activate online or by phone, choose online because this is not 1988.
- Read two paragraphs of explanation about your product key not being adequate, without any prompt to change to the new Office 2007 key you paid for.
- Look around the unfamiliar user interface for 20 minutes for where you can change to the correct key, constantly being nagged by Office to activate your product (or else).
- Uninstall and reinstall Office, and two hours later, find it did no good at all.
- Spend another hour Googling for help.
- Find Q826526, which describes the problem exactly, but offers no solution.
- Realize that license management costs and complexity are killing you, without offering any real protection from the capricious, unreasonable requirements of major software companies because you wore the wrong color pants today.
- Download and use OpenOffice, which doesn't treat users like guilty-until-proven-innocent criminals, and never worry about licensing again.
A pedant that hangs out in the dark corner-cases of the web.
Monday, February 05, 2007
Office 2007 Product Activation: Why Licensing Sucks
Posted by Brian at 13:24