I dug a bit into some anecdotal reports I had heard about XP vs. Vista. It turns out XP performance beats Vista: 32- or 64-bit, service packs or no, in a box or with a fox, in a house or with a mouse.
- Benchtest: Windows XP SP3 vs. Windows Vista SP1 | News | TechRadar UK — Jun 23, 2008 —
787MB is an absolutely ludicrous amount for a system to swallow from a fresh boot of a new installation. Windows XP squeezes itself into just one fifth the space.
- XP Vista SP1 2008 x86 and x64 benchmark | Vista Home [graph] — Apr 28, 2008
- Testing Shows XP Still Outperforms Vista - Software - IT Channel News by CRN and VARBusiness — Apr 04, 2008
- exo.blog: Update: Re-Testing Vista w/2GB RAM, Office 2003 — Nov 27, 2007
- Windows XP outshines Vista in benchmarking test - CNET News.com — Nov 27, 2007
- Benchmark Results - Tom's Hardware : Windows XP vs. Vista: The Benchmark Rundown — Jan 29, 2007
Sure, it's doing more, but is it doing more good? Death match: Windows Vista versus XP | InfoWorld | Analysis | 2008-03-17 | By Randall C. Kennedy